During the holiday season many dogs love to party with their owners. We’re indulging ourselves, so why not indulge the dog? Well, in short you can kill your dog with enough of the wrong stuff. Because dogs don’t know what’s good for them and will eat just about anything, it’s the humans’ job to keep them safe. Dogs make up 70% to 80% of all reported pet poisonings. It’s all fun and games until the dog gets sick.
Coffee beans, colas and other drinks containing caffeine can be problematic for a dog’s heart among other things.
No one knows why grapes and raisins cause kidney failure in dogs but given enough grapes, dogs can die.
Onions and chives are quite toxic for dogs and cause a dog’s red blood cells to rupture. Though less toxic, garlic isn't great for them either.
Avocados aren’t healthy for dogs. They cause stomach upsets and there is even a report of two dogs that died from eating too many avocados.
A handful of macadamia nuts is enough to make most dogs sick. Vomiting, tremors and panting occur within 12 hours of ingestion and can last a day or two. There are reports of a few dogs that have died from eating macadamia nuts. Best not to share your macadamia nut cookies with the dog.
Aside from getting your dog drunk, alcohol and beer can cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma and even death.
Xylitol is found in sugarless gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste. It causes vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. With a high enough dose, the dog may suffer seizures and even die of liver failure.
Raw yeast dough can rise once its in your pet’s stomach and cause a lot of pain. If the dough bloats up enough it can even cuase your dog’s stomach or intestines to rupture.
Aside from toxic foods, there are other threats to a pet’s safety during the holidays. The berries of holly (red) and mistletoe (white) are quite toxic to people and pets.
Keep your pet safe during the holidays!